Gainesville Criminal Defense Lawyer
Providing the Highest Quality of Criminal Legal Defense in Gainesville, Statewide and Nationwide
With an arrest for a drug crime, sex crime or other criminal offense, your life can change in an instant. With so much at stake, nothing is more important than getting the help of a skilled, knowledgeable and experienced criminal defense attorney who can discuss your options with you and provide a strong defense to get you the best outcome possible. Gilbert Schaffnit is a Gainesville criminal defense lawyer with more than 40 years of experience who has devoted his legal practice for more than 30 years to the representation of individuals charged with criminal violations in Alachua County and across the state of Florida.
We zealously fulfill our role as your attorney by mounting an effective challenge to all physical evidence and testimony in your case. We work with you from the very start, even pre-arrest in some situations, to achieve a reduction or dismissal of charges, to gain an acquittal or not guilty verdict, or to secure probation or another positive outcome in your case. Additionally, Gilbert Schaffnit can serve as your advocate before the public or the press in sensitive, controversial or highly-publicized legal matters. You will find our attorney and staff at all times eager to approach you and your case in a respectful, non-judgmental and completely confidential manner.
The Law Offices of Gilbert A. Schaffnit provides and advice and representation across the full range of Florida and federal criminal charges, including all of the following:
- Drug Crimes – Helping you avoid stiff mandatory prison sentences and steep fines for possession, use, sale or distribution of marijuana, cocaine, heroin or other controlled substances
- Violent Crimes – Fighting prosecutors seeking tough sanctions for assault, battery, homicide and other violent crimes
- Sex Crimes – Sensitive and compassionate help for those accused of sexual assault, sex offenses involving minors, computer and Internet sex crimes, child pornography, and more. Our office is additionally well-informed in the procedures for avoiding or dealing with sex offender registration.
- Theft Crimes – Handling the full range of theft and property crimes, from first-time petty theft or shoplifting mistakes to accusations of grand theft auto, robbery and burglary
- Weapons Charges – Firearms violations may be standalone offenses or serve to enhance sentences and the serious nature of other offenses. We know the laws and what is at stake in the face of weapons offenses.
- White Collar Crime – Providing knowledgeable and effective defense in cases alleging healthcare fraud, computer crimes, Internet pharmacy prosecutions and more
- Juvenile Offenses – We put more than 40 years of experience representing juvenile defendants to work in protecting your child’s rights and helping to keep them in school and out of custody. We additionally represent students at the University of Florida and other institutions statewide charged with sex offenses or facing campus disciplinary proceedings.
- Probation Violations – Being found in violation of probation can lead to the imposition of your original sentence along with additional jail time or other penalties. We provide strong defense in hearings on probation violations, and also represent probationers seeking a modification of the terms of their probation as needed.
- Sealing or Expungements – Dealing with a criminal record after an arrest or conviction is essential to being able to move on with your life. Our office fully understands Florida statutes on sealing and expungement and can help you through the complicated process of clearing your record.
- Sex Offender Registry Removal – Many individuals may qualify for removal from the Registry after a certain number of years. We file Petitions with the Court to have eligible individuals removed from the Sex Offender Registry.
- Postconviction Relief – There are a number of methods to get relief after a person has been convicted and sentenced. We file Postconviction Relief Motions with the Court to challenge a person’s conviction or sentence.
Make Your First Call Be to Gilbert A. Schaffnit in Gainesville
It is up to the state to prove its case against you, and you have the right to have an attorney mount a strong case in your defense. The Law Offices of Gilbert A. Schaffnit is here to make sure you are not failed by the justice system, that you are treated fairly, and that every available defense and argument is made in your favor. For strong, effective defense designed to achieve the best outcome in a Florida or federal criminal prosecution, call the Law Offices of Gilbert A. Schaffnit at 352-505-1799. We offer a free initial consultation and are available to answer your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The best thing you can do for yourself after an arrest is to call an experienced Gainesville criminal defense lawyer, so don’t hesitate to call us right away, before you say or do anything that can make your case harder to defend.